March Nosegay


[A posy (poesy) from my garden for my Clare friends]

The bonny March morning is beaming
   In mingled crimson & grey
White clouds are streaking and creaming
   The sky till the noon of the day
The fir deal looks darker and greener
   And grass hills below look the same
The air all about is serener
   The birds less familliar and tame

Heres two or three flowers for my fair one,
   Wood primroses & celandine too
I oft look about for a rare one
   To put in a posy for you
The birds look so cleanly and neatly
   Though theres not a leaf on the grove
The sun shines about me so sweetly
   I cannot help thinking of love

So where the blue violets are peeping
   By the warm sunny side of the woods
& the primrose 'neath early morn weeping
   Amid a large cluster of buds
The morning it was such a rare one
   So dewy so sunny and fair
I sought the wild flowers for my fair one
   To wreathe in her glossy black hair.

The Later Poems of John Clare 1837-1864
ed. Eric Robinson and David Powell
(Oxford, 2 volumes, I-II, 1984)

No comments: