Clare's use of thee and thou


(from a discussion on my 'John Clare Poet' facebook page)

Reading through Arbour Editions "O Woman Sweet Witchingly Woman."  Interested in "Mary leave thy lowly cot" (page 12), especially for its switching from thou to ye for the addressee. 
This is well-attested in Early Modern English, switching from thou to you and back for shades of intimacy or distance, and I wonder if my mentioning this brings to mind other lyrics where this occurs. Thoughts? Thank you all.  (John Wright)
  1. Mary leave thy lowly cot
  2. When thy thickest jobs are done
  3. When thy friends will miss the[e] not]
    Mary to the pasture run
    Where we met the other night
    Neath the bush upon the plain
    Be it dark or be it light
    Ye may guess we'll meet again
  1. Shoud ye go or shoud ye not
  2. Never shilly shally dear
  3. Leave yer work & leave yr cot
  4. Nothing need ye doubt or fear
  5. 1Chaps may tell ye lies in spite
  6. Calling me a roving swain
  7. Think what passd the other night
  8. Then Ill bound yell meet again
My answer: Not my field as I've said before, but the use of 'ye', 'yer', 'yr', 'yell' (ye'll) surely simply mimic the speech pattern, and are still 'possessives' (is that the right word)? I don't think you can say 'thour', 'thr', although I have heard (when I lived in Sheffield) 'thoull' (thou'll). Rebecca Hawley (Sheffield born and bred) might enlighten further...
Rebecca's answer: In Sheffield we still switch between thou and ye to address someone or variants of it. 'Tha'll freeze aht thee-er' - you will be cold outside. Or 'yul freeze'. Thou, thee, tha, thine, thou'll. All still used .You sometimes say thou'r meaning you were, past tense usually eg 'thou'r reyt daft yesterday when you....'. Sometimes you may say 'Tha a reyt un' meaning you're a bit of a character.

No comments: